Monday, October 4, 2010

Dedication Dress

Pin It

My latest project has been my baby girl's dedication dress. I wanted for her to have a special dress for the occasion and I thought nothing could be more special than something made especially for her by her mommy. I just wasn't sure if I was up for the task. A sun dress or something for them to wear around the house is one thing, but a dress to put her in before the entire church, take pictures of, etc. was something else entirely.

I got my inspiration and material from a bed skirt that used to be on the bed in her room when it was a guest room long before we had any thoughts of having children. The buttons came from some old clothes that my used to be mine long ago but were stained and unusable. The ribbon and trim was some that my grandmother gave me for my sewing projects. The thread I already had on hand. Total cost for this project: $0

 

No pattern I have ever used has fit right, and I didn't have a pattern on hand that was exactly what I was looking for. I pulled out various dresses I have here at home and looked at them to get an idea of how to make what I wanted.

Since she has the prettiest blue eyes, I wound blue ribbon through the webbing and monogrammed the top in matching blue. I fashioned short puffed sleeves to attach to the bodice. I made a pleated front for the skirt and a gathered back. The lining was made from the thinner fabric in the center of the bed skirt while the bodice, skirt, and sleeves were made from the bottom of the bed skirt. I attached some pretty vintage scalloped lace remnants that my grandmother had given me along the bottom of the lining so it barely peaked out below the skirt.


Though I couldn't tell you exactly how it came together and I'm not sure if I could make it again if I tried, I couldn't be more pleased with the results. My precious little girl wore a dress that I pray will be a special keepsake for her.



for more crafty ideas visit these links:


Making



The Girl Creative

The DIY Show Off







2 comments:

  1. I can't even being to tell you how much I love this. It's just beautiful and SO MEANINGFUL! I smile just thinking of how much she will treasure it when she is grown. How special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather it turned out beautiful!!! Great job! Your family looks so happy standing up their giving your little Kate to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments and connecting with other bloggers...send some comments my way!