Wednesday, November 17, 2010

25 Days of Thanks Challenge: Day 17

Pin It
Today I am Thankful for...My Grandparents

Grandmommy with the girls

Papa's first meeting with Kate
I have been blessed to know both sets of my grandparents really well. I was raised with one set living ten minutes in one direction from me and the others 5 minutes in the other direction. I spent all the major holidays with my maternal grandparents for lunch and my paternal grandparents for dinner.

I played on the farm with my seven cousins at my paternal grandparent's home. Granny gave us the tools we needed to build the best forts inside and out. Papa took us on tractor rides and let us go barefoot in the dirt picking up potatoes behind his plow. They taught us how to love each other and love the Lord foremost.

 Not only am I an only child, but on my mom's side I am an only grandchild. As such, I had my Grandmommy and Grandaddy's undivided attention. When I turned 16, they bought me my first car (brand new). My Grandaddy was my "Buddy" (to learn more about him, check out this book). My Grandmommy was always the one to sew up anything. I called her the "fixer-upper."

Though Granny and Grandaddy have gone on to be with the Lord, my girls still have the opportunity to know my Papa and Grandmommy a bit. I am so thankful for all of the memories and the heritage that they have passed down to me and subsequently my girls.

What are YOU thankful for today? Check out the "25 Days of Thanks" tab at the top of the page and link up below!

1 comment:

  1. That is so neat to be so close to your grandparents and they sound like really neat ones to have! My grandparents on my dad's side were always strangers to me. I knew of them and even visited them in NY a time or two but we never were that close...Then my grandma on my mom's side was the scary grandma...I've grown close to her since my mom's passing but as a child she always scared me. ;)You certainly have something to be thankful for!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments and connecting with other bloggers...send some comments my way!