Tuesday, November 9, 2010

25 Days of Thanks Challenge: Day 9

Pin It
Today I am Thankful for...Being A Stay at Home Mom



This is a typical morning scene in our household during the week: both girls sitting on the bed "helping" Mommy fold a load of laundry. When I taught elementary music, I began each year by having each of my students complete a questionnaire so I could get to know them better. I completed the form also and shared my answers with them. One of the questions was, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" My answer was always the same, "A great Mommy, one day." I don't know how "great" I am, but I do know one thing: I sure do love it!

When my husband and I went on our first date I remember us kind of grilling each other with big-picture questions. One of them was, "How do you feel about stay-at-home moms?" Both of us were raised in a household where our moms quit working to be with us when we were little. My husband's mom never returned to work and my mom didn't return to work until I was in the 5th grade. Even then, she was a teacher so we had the same schedule. Being educators ourselves, we have seen first hand the difference it can make having that one-on-one instruction at home in the early years.

When we started planning our family, we knew that I would not be returning to work. We never even gave it a second thought. Sure, we had some concern over how we would handle it financially, but honestly, we didn't even give THAT much thought. We just kind of took the plunge and God took care of the rest. He has blessed us with a steady job for my husband and other side jobs that allow us to live comfortably. I can also look back on the early years of our marriage and see His hand on our financial decisions that have allowed us this time. I realize that so many others CAN'T be at home. I am SO THANKFUL that I have this opportunity.

I had no idea when I told my students all those years ago that I wanted to be a mommy, how true that would be today. Though if you have read my profile you know that I was TERRIFIED of staying at home, I can't imagine being anywhere else right now.

No my house is not always clean (actually it rarely is)

No I don't always have home-cooked meals (I do enjoy making them)

No I don't always keep up with the laundry (we do have something clean to wear)

Yes the TV is watched more often than I would like to admit (usually educational)

Yes mommy and the girls often spend their entire day in their PJ's.

Yes mommy spends a lot of time working on her projects.

BUT, Household work will always be there and this time with my girls will be gone oh so fast.

I love being the one to feed my girls in the morning, to hold their little hands each day, to hear and see all their firsts, and to guide their little footsteps. Though I am still learning (and will continue to every day) I can't imagine any profession with a greater reward.


What are YOU thankful for today? Check out the "25 Days of Thanks" tab at the top and link up below!

5 comments:

  1. I, too, am thankful for the time I had as a SAHM. I'm back to work this year for the first time and wish I didn't have to be. Alas, the terms Single Mom and Stay At Home Mom do not often compliment each other, but I pulled it off a lot longer than anyone, including myself, thought I could!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! Being a SAHM is very rewarding so far for me (I am still a newbie at it!) LOL at the housework and spending the day in your PJs! I am glad I'm not the only one that opts for the comfy pjs pants and a t-shirt unless I'm going somewhere that day. I just realized I didn't post yesterday's thankful on your blog...but I did it :-) Feel free to go to my blog and check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your comment on someone else's blog, and thought I'd click over and join in!

    I definitely have to agree...I am beyond. words. grateful. that I can be home with my kids. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on both sides of this fence and I can say without a doubt that this is on my thankful list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. {Jealous} Hasn't quite worked out for our family yet, but hopefully will eventually! I'm so glad to hear you are making the most of every special moment.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments and connecting with other bloggers...send some comments my way!