Sunday, November 7, 2010

25 Days of Thanks Challenge: Day 7

Pin It
Today I am Thankful for...My Church Home


my family with our Pastor, Dr. Don Wilton
When my husband and I were dating, and he had moved to where we now live, we began our search for a church to attend. Both of us had been raised in smaller churches so I assumed that would be the right fit for us. We planned for me to come up each Sunday to try a different church each week until we found the one that was right for us. Patrick began the search by opening up the phone book. The first church he came across, and the first church we visited was Spartanburg First Baptist. We never went anywhere else after that first Sunday. Though it was a HUGE church compared to where we had both come from, we immediately were drawn in by the truth being preached so boldly (and with such a rich accent) from the man in the pulpit.

I was amazed to hear an oboe in the orchestra. I never thought I would be able to use my gift of playing my instrument in church. We soon got plugged into the orchestra and began playing regularly on Sunday mornings and found that the more we got involved, the smaller the church seemed. After having our girls, we also realized other benefits of attending a large church: the programs for children. Though we no longer serve in the orchestra, we teach a pre-school Sunday school class, I work with the children's choir, and Patrick is a deacon.

Especially since we live further from our families, we have grown to depend on our church family. I am so glad we are in a church that challenges us in our walk and is not afraid to share the TRUTH of God's Word. I feel so blessed and thankful that the Lord used a phone book to guide us to our church home 11 years ago.


What are YOU thankful for today? Check out the "25 Days of Thanks" tab at the top and link up below!

1 comment:

  1. A church home is such a blessing. We really need to find one for our family.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments and connecting with other bloggers...send some comments my way!